Saturday, February 24, 2007

I Fought the Law, and they sent me an Apology

Well well, the weight of bureaucracy crumbles under the sustained pressure of a single pissed off medical student. Agreed, when they gave me a parking ticket for parking right outside my own house whilst displaying the correct permit, they might have been entering into indefensible territory, but still, I made them pay. The semi-apologetic letter written and signed by a low-grade Parking Services pen-pusher really put the case to rest. Power to the people.
Back to mundane reality, I handed in my second and final essay of the year on Thursday, so now all that stands between me and 9 weeks in India this summer are 3 small, perfectly failable exams. Just scanning through the past papers makes me realise how shite at medicine I am. What antibiotic do you give for peptic ulcer disease? How you feel is how I feel (unless you're qualified, you lucky bastard). What ECG changes occur in hyperkalaemia? I'm only relieved of sheer terror when confronted with a sociology (aka common sense) question like what should Mr Smith do personally to reduce the risk of a second heart attack? Hmmmm...stop smoking? Get off his fat arse? Take the Chinese off speed dial?
Randomly skipping from subject to subject, we had a tutorial with a doctor who famously suffers from Prosopagnosia, he cannot recognise familiar faces. His own daughter could pass him in the street and he wouldn't know her from Eve. Interestingly, he only realised that something was wrong when in his mid thirties he heard of a criminal who had escaped and was disguising himself. To the doctor, the idea of disguising oneself seemed totally pointless, why would anyone bother when you are unrecognisable if you simply changes your clothes? Anyway, he has lived with the condition his entire life, and being a consultant, it hasn't caused him too much of a hindrance, although I'm sure he'd fix it if he could. When he meets you, you can see him visibly recording your features, effects and build; with the girls he jokily asks them to wear the same earrings every day. His condition aside, he is an excellent teacher whose clear articulation is a large benefit to him.
The mind is a strange thing, I heard of a man once who was blind, but when you showed him a card with a basic shape on it, he would "see" the card and tell you which shape it was, 100% of the time. He could see the card, and everything else, but his brain wouldn't let him view what his eyes received. All very complex, but enthralling.
First things first for me though- which antibiotic for peptic ulcer disease?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When booking my holiday to Asia and Aus i completely forgot about what the consenquences would be if i fail any of my perfectly failable exams...

Oh well, best make sure we dont fail any of them hey, cos im certainly not coming back from Asia to sit an exam in which i have to identify wot would happen if someone leaves everything to a trustee, in good faith that he will split the assets as promised. And then as soon as he dies the dirty bastard decids to keep everything for himself!

And im sure you dont wanna come back from India just to sit an exam identifying the correct antibiotic for peptic ulcer disease! lol

Though if your anything like you used to be your fucking remember everything as if you had it written down in front of you... that reminds me, i better revise a bit this year!