Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Random Revision

I managed to get into the hospital for 11am today, and did a short session on assessing consciousness. The two different systems used are the AVPU system (alert, voice, pain, unresponsive) and the Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS, often heard on Casualty). GCS is measured out of 15, but don't worry, you can't score less than 3, not even Jade Goody could do that.
After that, I filled an hour with some random revision, a technique I'm developing, where I pick a random topic and take notes on it and related topics. Since we're being given no revision list (apparently it was ill advised after last year's exams didn't relate to it very well), it seems to be the only way to go. Plus, unlike other courses, I'll probably end up using the info anyway, even if it doesn't come up it exams. Today I worked over diverticulitis, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, three common and nasty bowel diseases. I also gave the surrounding blood supply a quick look.
After that I nipped back to the main campus to do my "mentor training". I've been assigned 3 sixth form students from nearby colleges to mentor over the internet in the coming year, I'm getting paid but it'll look good on the CV as well. Plus, I suppose, maybe I'll get something out of it too, come up with your own vague adjective like "rewarding" or "fulfilling". Anyway, the training was partly group work (bloody hell) and partly getting to know the software.
Noticed that my poker earning were beginning to slip down so I stopped the rot and cashed out, approximately a hundred quid better off for 6 day's play. I didn't need as much money as I first thought, and I don't need an excuse to stay up late when I'm so tired.
On that note, doctor's appointment is for Friday, on the off chance my prolonged tiredness is based on anything easily remedied.

No comments: