Tuesday, February 06, 2007

24 Hour Lie-In

Today I couldn't get out of bed. I've been feeling a bit lethargic recently, downright faigued sometimes, but this was a new one altogether. I just couldn't get my feet out from under the bloody covers. I wanted to. I had things to do and lots of other things to find to do. But I couldn't budge. Heavy eyes, non-complaint body. I don't want to jazz up good old student laziness, but it's gotten to the point where it's affecting my work. So I'm going to book an appointment with the GP and see what he says. If it turns out I'm just lacking motivation then that'll be alright but there's no point in struggling on when I could have hypothyroidism or something. However, knowing my GP, an aging asian man who has the uncanny ability to conduct a consultation speaking only three words and making no eye contact, I am struggling to predict how it will go. He'll probably do one of a few things-
  1. Misdiagnose it as depression, give me an SSRI and tell me to fuck off.
  2. Misdiagnose it as chronic fatigue syndrome and tell me to fuck off.
  3. Tell me I'm lazy, and that I should fuck off.
  4. Stare at me inquisitively for two minutes, wondering why I thought this was his problem.
  5. Tell me to eat healthier, stop drinking and find a relaxing hobby. And fuck off.

Still, there are no end of perfectly productive things that you can do in bed (calm down), so I researched a few pages about stroke and the Circle of Willis (blood vessels at the base of the brain). I could draw the structure off-hand now, but come exam time doubtless the info will have been replaced with the names of all the wars that France have lost or some other useless but highly interesting fact. I saw a few of the past papers for the summer exams this week, initially I almost fainted from shock but now I've come to terms with the fact that you have to give everything a good guess, and get 50% to pass. Last year's average was 55%....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey mate, if i was your doctor i would tell you to fuck off you lazy git.
We all have days like that, i have them weekly...

The Ante Poster said...

I have them daily!

Anonymous said...

but why wld CFS be a 'misdiagnosis'??

The Ante Poster said...

No myalgia. CFS is a diagnosis of exclusion too, and nothing has yet been excluded.